As the year of Bernie vs. Aus is over and it’s now 2013, I thought it was well and truly time to write a little summary post about my adventure!
A few random facts/observations:
- Total k’s traveled: 24,448;
- Total time on the road: 162 days;
- States visited: All but Tassie;
- Towns stayed in: 54 - About 30% staying with friends, 30% hostels, 40% camping and a couple of times in the car.
- Worst accommodation: City Centre Backpackers, Bundaberg, QLD. Not only was it filthy, there were bed bugs! Give me the tent over that any day.
- Coldest night: Minus 1 in Mt Isa, QLD… We were tenting it and apparently it was the coldest night in Mt Isa in 50-odd years!;
- Longest stop: Karratha, WA for nearly 3 weeks;
- Roadkill: One small bird near Onslow, WA; one feral cat near Hughenden, QLD. There were also a few animals that I had to brake for but were more lucky: Goats near Shark Bay, WA; Cows in outback WA and QLD; Kangaroos, everywhere!; Other feral cats between Cloncurry and Townsville, QLD; A snake in the Atherton Tablelands, QLD;
- Favourite destinations: El Questro Station, WA; Kakadu National Park, NT; All of Far North Queensland (Cape Tribulation, Magnetic Island, The Whitsundays… can’t go wrong!); Mt Kosciuszko, Snowy Mountains National Park, NSW.
Firsts (things that I’d never done/seen before):
- Catching my own dinner: Off the Denham Jetty, WA;
- Sleeping in my car: Somewhere between Derby and Karratha, WA;
- Seeing an echidna in the wild: Cape Range NP, WA;
- Seeing a turtle in the wild: Ningaloo Reef, WA;
- Swimming with Whale Sharks: Ningaloo Reef, WA;
- Seeing a waterfall in Australia: Karijini NP, WA;
- Crossing a state border overland, from WA to NT;
- Legally driving 130kmh on Australian roads: NT;
- Swimming with a turtle: Mataranka hot springs, NT;
- Visiting the NT, QLD, NSW, and the ACT;
- Seeing a koala in the wild: Magnetic Island, QLD;
- Seeing a snake in the wild: Mount Sorrow, Cape Tribulation, QLD;
- Climbing Australia’s highest peak: Mt Kosciuszko, Snowy Mountains NP, NSW;
- Seeing snow: Mt Kosciuszko, Snowy Mountains NP, NSW;
- My travel partners Louisa & Wolly (Germany), Chris (Aus), Laetitia (France), Carrie (UK), Gwen (France), Luke (Ireland), Abel (Alaska);
- Everyone who let me stay with them and gave me a much appreciated break from the tent or a shared dorm: Emily and Talia (Karratha); Anna and Clint (Karratha); Dad (Port Hedland); Jenni and Rowan (Cairns); Amanda (Wagga Wagga);
- Everyone else who entertained me or showed me hospitality in any way shape or form along the way: Cris, Max and Aunty Barbara (Roebourne); Anton (Karratha); Sam and Amanda (Eumundi); Andy and Laura (Melbourne); Meredith (Melbourne); Vlad (Melbourne).
And even though I was away for a while, there are still plenty of things on my ‘to see’ list!:
- A platypus - And not for lack of trying, they’re elusive little things!
- Cape York, QLD;
- Fraser Island, QLD;
- Outback SA, particularly Lake Eyre;
- The southern coast of WA, east of Albany;
- Alice Springs and Uluru, NT.
There you have it! I’ve still got a couple of things to finish up, like those time lapses I talked about in my last post and also a compilation of my favourite photos. Hopefully they’ll be here soon ;)